Sunday, February 26, 2012

{FL}

This past week was an amazing experience for me. My time in Florida went SO fast, I felt like I was only gone 4 days (versus 8). It was very tiring (I had to fly in a day early to check into the conference on time since it was so far), but it was great to meet with fellow learners and practice all we've been learning for 1.5 years +! We did mock counseling all day long in cohort groups. When 5 pm rolled around (in between night studies for my other classes and homework), I managed to get in a little bonding time over dinner with fellow learners.It was unfortunate we (the students) didn't get to see much in the day light, but that didn't stop "us."




We took a trip to St. John's for dinner one night, ate many meals on the Jacksonville board walk (where Dolphins entertained us on the first night), and visited St. Augustine (the oldest city in the U.S).
The pics were few, but I captured a couple!This big yacht was parked in front of the hotel the whole week.


The rail and water shot to the right was where the dolphins swam and played while we ate dinner the first night.


A guy running on the bridge got stuck when it lifted and decided to do sit-ups while waiting for the bridge to lower. The top two left pictures were through the window of the wax museum. We went to visit, only it closed before we made it. Seinfeld, in honor of my dad.


St. Augustine was beautiful! There were more museums than I could count, but the architecture alone made for wonderful entertainment!
I missed my family, but it was a wonderful feeling to know they were well cared for. Chad did great with the kids, which eases any worries for next year when I have to do this again.
The kids asked me to take their picture when we were skyping. I thought this was so cute. We read our scriptures and other bedtime books I packed or bought over the computer each night. It was great!


I came home to handmade signs (at the airport and at home) and a whole lot of love!


I realized this was my first time being alone, ever! I graduated high school 12 years ago, moved in with roommates, then with Chad, and then had kids. When I went to slide my room key, it hit me. And, although I didn't really get any down time, it was peaceful to reflect on my life during the 10 hour days I spent traveling.




I did not care for the 6 planes I had to take to and from to get there and back. My connections were okay and I now know I love United, especially over U.S. Airways. I practically had to run to one of my flights in DC to get my last plane to Portland, which involved this "portable lounge." The airport was so big, you get in one of these transportation lounges, and it hauls you over to the other side of the airport.



The best thing I took away from this experience, is that I want to teach as part of my career. The entrepreneur in me is constantly planning away.

3 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

So glad that your trip went so well. I almost called you tonight but couldn't remember when you got home and didn't want to "bug" you too soon. As soon as you get a chance, we need to hang out! And wow, that is a LOT of girl scout cookies! Go Maisey!

jamie t. said...

I am glad that the trip went so well. I was thinking about you and loved the pictures and the welcome home sign!

Ciara said...

I was here!