Tuesday, August 13, 2013

{Doc, You're Joking}

Twins?
I was trying to put off going to the doctor for several weeks because I wanted to avoid the transvaginal ultrasound. I haven't been to the doctor in a little over 5 years (since I had Ry), with the exception of urgent care for pink eye or an ear infection but I thought I should buck up and face reality.
 I was only able to get the 3rd doctor of my choosing but I called and arranged an appointment a couple weeks back.  
I mustard up the courage to go (lots of mindfulness meditation so I wouldn't be quivering for the doctor), and, now I'm glad I went.  
 Just after the oh so lovely exam and then the ultrasound (pics were taken), during the conclusion I mentioned how my coworker was having triplets the day after me.
Right at that time the instrument maneuvered left and the doc says,
 "Well, you're having twins" (ever so plainly).
I had avoided making eye contact throughout the visit like most uncomfortable women during an exam, but our eyes connected instantaneously once he spoke. I said, "Doc, You're Joking" (followed by lots of laughter).
He said, "Nope, see the two heartbeats." The rest was pretty much a blur.
All I remember asking was what the chances of survival were and he said "Great, full-term, 38 weeks."
I dressed and was in shock... Word vomit coming out non-stop.
"Chad, are you okay?"
"Chad, what do you think?"
"Chad, are you okay?"
"Chad, I feel bad for you since I will be at work part of the time."
 Well, Chad was/is happy. He LOVES babies and has asked for hundreds in the 11 years we've been married.
We have waited so long and patiently!
After having Maisey when things became hard I convinced myself we couldn't have more. BUT, my patriarchal blessing said "children" and I always clung to that! 
(The original take home picture of 1)
The Doc S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y almost missed baby 'B.' If I hadn't talked of multiples, I'm convinced we would be like my friends sister who didn't know she was having twins till her 20 week appointment.
Twins!
I already bought a stroller so now I'm trying to sell it. We are D-Y-I-N-G to find out their sexes because we have to start over entirely!
My mind is RACING over their anatomy!!!
We started over with Ry, and then with these 2.
So much to buy!
After some shock, well, I'm still in shock and everybody is getting tired of hearing me says, "twins?" we are accepting this blessing and we are happy to complete our family.
Funny thing, I used to pray for twins ALWAYS. With infertility with Ry I thought we might actually get them. This time, I was NOT praying for twins, or doing any fertility!
The cliché,"Good things happen to those who wait" is coming to my mind, but really, I know so many who have never been able to overcome the battle of infertility and so I know that is not really the case.
EDD 3/16/14 but ETA 2/2014.
Here's to double the prayers!
Ryley drew this at church today. I am most definitely not flaunting his art "skills," but the thoughtfulness and excitement he has.
Both kids are ecstatic! We all are- and still in shock!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

CONGRATS!!! How exciting! :)

Kristy E.B. said...

So thrilled for you guys!

jamie t. said...

so happy for you guys! Better get ready for the ride :)