Monday, June 4, 2012

{Modesty and Specialist #1}

Our kids are EXTREMELY modest. We appreciate their virtue, but it seems a little extreme when they visit their pediatrician each year for well child checks. Maybe I am just hyper-sensitive to their behavior concerning this issue (nudity) because of my former job with child-welfare, but we keep trying to explain to them that it is ok to undress for doctors.
Anyway, this upset face is due to the fact Ry had to get undressed and put on a gown. I slyly took out my camera and snapped the pic nonchalantly because I didn't want to disrespect him, but at the same time, it was too cute.
Now, Ry had an appointment with a pediatric dermatologist.
He was diagnosed as we all suspected with Vitiligo, an autoimmune disease which is not harmful (yes, the one Michael Jackson had).
We are blessed Ryley is healthy and that he is fair enough it isn't too noticeable. We aren't even going to do treatment right now, as it is cosmetic and hardly noticeable to areas where his clothes do not cover. 
I will admit that when they discussed the heightened risk of other auto immune diseases as he gets older my heart raced a little. However, what I mostly thought about was how terrible it would be to have a sick child. And the thought of receiving a life threatening diagnosis. It surely put some worry in me and I am counting my blessings a little more right now. I don't ever want to take for granted the gifts I have been given. I am one lucky woman. I know this and give thanks continually.

Specialist #2 is this Thursday but that is for another post.

1 comments:

jamie t. said...

That it sin't anything too serious. Keep us posted.