Sunday, February 8, 2009

{Random}

First and foremost I have to say how much I miss blogging. I am so consumed by other things right now (and no- I'm not on Facebook), that I never even know where my camera is. That little number representing my posts in my sidebar is pathetic!
Update: Lately things around here have been 'mellow' or uneventful.
Maisey:
Has school five days a week, several play date swaps, dance and girl scouts (BTW, she sold 100+ boxes), along with other random things we don't have scheduled. After last weeks sun she is ready for summer... Just come on by and you will catch her in summer skirts, swimsuits (a little over-eager) and flip flops. She thinks she can bring summer on sooner if she dresses accordingly.
Ryley:
Applauds all the time, army crawling his way into trouble, and trying to give up the bottle- despite our advice. You never know depending on the day if he wants a bottle, a cup, or nothing all together. Since he's pretty much always happy it's hard to tell when he's hungry. All he wants are solids and we are wasting tons of formula offering him bottles left and right.
Chad:
Played his first basketball game for our ward and enjoyed it. Had to miss Saturday's game for a long standing swimming day at the aquatic park, but "took one for the team." Has been working on Elders Quarum stuff and is excited to serve in a different area of the church for t he first time (outside of primary).
Me:
Last week (and the four before that), I was so consumed with my classes that I didn't even wear make-up or get "dressed" (like really dressed for the public eye) for several days in a row! I've forgone many social opportunities and my neighbors haven't seen me come and go 8x's a day as usual; however, don't get worried now. I am simply busy earning A's with my 16 credit load. I did manage to take the kids for many walks last week, and to a couple playground/parks. I got enough Vitamin D to recharge my battery for a couple days.
About school, I think I'm going to miss school when I'm done. I know it sounds crazy. Before college I only went to school to socialize (big surprise, huh?) and I didn't care about getting the very best grades I could. I was "average." However, a heck of a lot has changed since those days and somewhere over time I became this "Type A" overachiever. It's funny how when other people call us names we don't like it but when we say it, it isn't so bad...
I just hope my career is as rewarding as the quarter grades I receive because it's validation that all the sacrifice has payed off and it is worth it. I just took a midterm tonight, I have another tomorrow, and I'm so glad I only halve 5 weeks left until spring break.
It is that time of year when all I think about is Nursing school. This year will be the first year I am 'qualified' to but won't apply. I actually had a small interest in a couple schools but it was so small I missed the deadlines. Obviously, my interest wasn't big because I would never "miss" something like that. I have to say I am very discouraged with the level of education I do have at this time. All I ever wanted to do in life was be a CNM (Midwife). I am still amazed that I spent 4 years in school, only to apply with good grades, and not get in. I think it "knocked me off my rocker." I know everything happens for a reason and that reason will be one year old in April. That was what I really wanted. But, I thought after having him I would apply again and the truth of the matter is, I am just burned out with all the juggling. Yes, I am contradicting myself.
I will miss school deadlines, the acquisition of new knowledge, and long vacations, but I won't miss the juggling! Six years, and two babies later, I don't think I will ever want to go back to those science classes again. I know I will need grad school to get further, but I need at little break first.

5 comments:

Carroll Conversations said...

You are amazing Rachel! How you do it all is amazing! You definitely deserve the break though.

jamie t. said...

I agree, you are amazing! I think you deserve a break also. You are such a great person and friend. Its hard sometimes to enjoy the moment we are in. I remember being so excited to be done with school, now there are days that I wish I could sit in a class by myself :) Hang in there!

Kristy E.B. said...

I can't believe how you do it all. I thought I'd miss school too....but I really don't. Other than learning interesting things, it's so nice not to have life controlled by the constant deadlines!! And to have time to pick up some new hobbies and learn new things that don't involve reading a textbook. I look forward to hanging out more once you get a break from your busy schedule. Hang in there!

Kari said...

Just speaking from personal experience, it all does work out in the end and even though you wish some doors would open for you now, the right ones will later.

Chris and Melanie said...

Thanks for the update...it's the next best thing to having you guys around!!;)