After reading and agreeing for a second to the uproar that Hasbro should create a gender neutral "Easy Bake Oven" I couldn't help but think what an oxymoron this is.
Three or so years ago Maisey had the Easy Bake oven (like the one above), neutral I would say compared to the new glittery pink and purple versions.
We quickly parted with it after being reminded how disgusting the products really are, but that is not the point here.
By complaining the oven is too girly people are enforcing stereotypes, actually putting children into the very gender boxes many more open minded people want to deconstruct. We are teaching our boys (where this debate took off from), that they can't use something that does not build up their masculinity.
Now, I think the pink craze (car seats, t-ball stands, infant bath tubs) in general has really gone wild, but, if people want to buy the car seat for their female daughter and then another if they have a boy, consumers are getting their wishes. And really, why are t-ball sets and neon pink cozy coupes are wrong second to be developed. This pink wave may be a sign things are changing- or simply that retailers are growing their businesses!
I happened to find a blog on the same debate while looking for gender-neutral picture to steal so apparently I am not the only one who sees this side of the coin.
I am glad my husband and I supoort eachother as a team without boxes. He isn't afraid to do housework or use works like pretty and cute!
I am glad my husband and I supoort eachother as a team without boxes. He isn't afraid to do housework or use works like pretty and cute!





0 comments:
Post a Comment