Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rejoice for Me!

I am so happy and relieved this morning. After a long night of anticipation for this mornings registration time, I was able to get the classes I wanted for next term. The best part is, 2 of them are online! There were only 4 classes available online that fit into my major and the first one I tried was full. I was so nervous because Seniors register after Masters students and I was thought they would fill the 'web' classes. Majority of the time online classes are full before I even get to register. I am so thankful for how things always work out- even if I didn't love my classes this term!
I only have Winter and Spring to go. Winter term, like all the others will be very busy. However, life will be easier since I have the flexibility to learn and study on my terms! There are cons to online classes- they cost more $ and they actually take more time (from my experience). You wouldn't think they would consume more time but instead of sitting in class lecture for 4 hours, you have to make up for that, plus the 2 hour study rule per a credit (which is fluid and is really gaged on the class and person).
What will I be doing aside from those 2 online classes- a community research project (volunteer work). In order to graduate Portland State requires students to spend one term in a community project. Most of them involve research and program implementation in the community. PSU wants to give back and the beneficiaries must be so thankful because it is a great help to them. Now, I am not 'promoting ' the program enthusiastically. Amongst the 15 or so projects you can choose from, nearly all are quite liberal and a little different. However, I am excited I will be doing mine with the older population (seniors). It is called 'Linking Generations.' I am very excited because I have had many great friendships with older people, my grandparents especially, and also with previous jobs I've had.
Oh what a relief, I only have to register 1 more time and I only have 27 credits to go! Many burdens have just be lifted. Once again, I feel so blessed that I have the stamina to 'endure to the end.'

5 comments:

jamie t. said...

Woo-hoo! I am so glad that it worked out for you. I love those little small blessings that make such a difference.

Courtney B said...

that is pretty awesome! it'll be so nice when it's done... and it'll come sooner than you know it ;)

Mark and Tammy said...

I remember those long hours that you have to put into a schedule and have back ups just in case a certain one didn't work etc.. what a lot of work that is and what a great relief when you finally get a little of you want. Congrats

Chris and Melanie said...

You are such an inspiration when it comes to following through! Here you have two kids...lots of women would have thrown in the towel by now, but you have hung in there. GREAT JOB!

Jen Sorenson said...

I am so glad you finally got what you wanted!!! I agree with Melanie. I would have given up long ago. I am proud of you and the effort you put in for you and your family! You are an inspiration to me even though I know you don't always feel like one. Way to go and I sure hope all is well with you guys. I think of you often. I also think you should join facebook!!! I will walk you through it :)