Sunday, January 22, 2012

{LOVE}

My bare wall, screaming for paint and decorations! But, I just don't know what to do with it yet!!! Here is a little love- (I copied this banner off of Pinterest- music note paper and all. After swearing I would never use Burlap again after making cupcakes in a jar, here I was trying again. Still not a fan of this itchy material. Maybe Jo Ann's just sells a cheap grade, but it is loose (frays), and I don't recommend it.


*****


Now for my long winded post.


Last week the R.S. lesson was about love. I loved the lesson! Love is something many people don't talk about. Discussing a love for someone or something is just not typical, and it can be seen as weird (last week I even told Maisey's friends mother that we "love" her daughter and for the next day all I could think about was how weird that might have sounded to them). It sounds so cheesy (which is why I have contemplated writing about it for a week). But, I just have to share some of my thoughts right now- many which are related to love.


First of all, I love people. I love my family, I love my friends, I love kids, and I love people I don't even know. I know this because I care for every stranger- every client who walks into my door (in a professional way of course). The lesson taught last week focused on Our Savior and how he loved everyone. Everyday I work to be more like Christ and sometimes I can't help but think I am so far away; however, thanks to some recent talks and articles, I am going at it with a different perspective.


The disclaimer before I get started (if you don't already know), is that I am a pretty positive person. A lot has happened in life which has given me a perspective many people don't have. For those experiences, I am thankful. I am thankful I love, and I am thankful I can forgive, because when you think about it, they go hand in hand. Also, I hesitate to blog about anything that isn't "happy go lucky," because tone is difficult to read, and I don't want to paint ugly pictures. However, I also don't want to be one of those people who turns others "off" or leads them to have ill feelings of blogs because they think life is perfect. What I really want is to be able to write whatever I want!!! There are several, several occasions when I want to use my blog like a journal but I am conflicted with what to do. With that said, you may never know what you'll get, which is how I am anyway, right? I will say it is hard to censor my thoughts on here (although I must for certain audiences like family and work), but I am candid and open in reality, and that's what's most important!


Now that I have proclaimed the love in my heart, I must also express my gratitude. I am so thankful for this blessing. It has made me a passionate individual. I love everything I am a part of (on the home front, with work, my continued education, and of course my testimony and religion). I try to stay focused on what's important in life and this is something which will be ongoing throughout my life.


What is most important to me revolves around the gospel of Jesus Christ. It doesn't matter what religion a person is (if any), I still talk about my beliefs with them (this was easier to do while working in the public sector, like DHS). Now, I am not the sort of missionary who invites people to sacrament per se, but I openly discuss my testimony, the blessings in my life, and my religion with people outside of the church (this does not apply to family however, yet). The reason I can't help but share my testimony comes from the fact there was a time in my life when I didn't nurture it. Although I never forgot it, I work hard every day to strengthen it so it continues to grow (to keep it like a "rock"). I try to do this by reading and praying daily.


In the first Ensign of 2012, I found many encouraging words (I hope you did/do too)! I have to share a couple things because they are still so heavy on my mind (and heart), after 3 weeks! First, "Recognizing God's Hand in Our Daily Blessings" really gave me new insight into "our daily bread." I always interpreted it literally, as nourishment, rather than other possibilities such as asking for our spiritual and physical needs be met (I am almost embarrassed to admit that). The talk spoke about trusting in the Lord, pointing out the precious gift of Our daily bread. In reference to problems, it is suggested we ask for help in small steps, day by day, rather than big possibly unmanageable dilemmas. By asking for and partaking of daily bread, we are learning to trust God as we endure challenges along the way. We are reminded to keep our heads up as we move forward, and to not let challenges discourage us from becoming more Christlike. The article concluded with this great advice: "As you retire to bed, think about the successes and failures of the day and what will make the next day a little better." I know if we will take the time to reflect on our thoughts and actions, we will find ways to become more Christlike.


The other article which really ignited my engine was "Living the Abundant Life" by Thomas S. Monson. He discussed what he calls the ABC's which can help us gain the abundant life. A is for attitude. B is for believe in yourself, in those around you, and in eternal principles. C is for courage.


Quotes from that article:


"The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment."


"We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."


"Believe in yourself and then live so as to reach your possibilities."


"Courage is required to make an initial thrust toward one's coveted goal, but even greater courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve."


*This quote on courage will probably "fuel" me for months. I happened to read it at a moment when I momentarily felt discouraged. I had just looked at my academic plan and felt completely overwhelmed at the fact I have 2 years and 3 months of school left! There are SO, SO many things we want to do, and places we want to go, and they are all on hold until I am done with school. I asked myself as I counted the terms why in the world I picked the longest Masters program out there (okay, I don't know if nearly 4 years at full time status takes the cake, but it sure seems that way to me). Just then, I read the article and instantly felt better. I must find even greater courage now than I originally had when I first applied and started. The same is true for my weight loss goals. I have these big goals, and I have to take one day at a time. As for losing weight, I know I can do it. I really have to look at day by day and go out and get it- or get rid of it!


I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father, and for those around me who inspire me everyday, most who have no idea. These thoughts have been on my mind continually, and I hope you will read, or re-read the talks I mentioned.

1 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

Loved reading your thoughts, so glad you shared! I'm glad you loved that talk about our daily bread too. I found that so inspiring also. Your banner turned out cute.
You're such an amazing girl. You never cease to amaze me with all that you have and do handle in your life and always are so optimistic about it and "that's just the way it is" kinda girl. We need to get together soon!