Sunday, April 3, 2011

{Conference}

I don't know what your husband "brought" home from the priesthood session, but mine brought me flowers. Conference reminds us all to be sweet to one another!

****


Now, every conference I usually have the chance to get together with friends while the men are away and we go over Saturday's talks. However, Ryley had a fever Friday night and I wanted to make sure he didn't expose other little kidlets. So, I am compelled to share a couple thoughts.


First, I loved the analogy about pruning "the" tree. (Forgive me because I never remember names until I read them in the Ensign, but I think it was Elder Pratt). Anyway, he talked about his qualifications for a promotion in the military. He also said he was passed over because of his membership in the church but that he later came to understand why and appreciated the "blessing in disguise."

I feel like I could relate (as many of us probably can in some aspects), but this especially resonates with my past experience with nursing school. Religion had nothing to do with anything in this case (although I feel this has been a recent factor in my professional career), but I certainly think about nursing school.


I was completely shocked when I didn't get into nursing school. I had spent 3 years completing all the pre-reqs AND required classes, and I expected an acceptance letter based on the fact I only had to complete clinicals. Well, that never happened and looking back now, I don't regret it. If I had gotten in I would be a nurse right now, and probably a CNM. As much as I LOVE childbirth, I also love listening to and counseling others. I also know I can be a part of that field again if I choose to take on births as a doula- something I've never had time to do much of. I know I am fulfilling my purpose in the field I'm in.


My favorite talk (as of this time) spoke about parenthood. Firstly, I LOVE being a mother. I cannot imagine my life without this amazing gift. I also love being a wife to a man who loves being a father.


Together, we are still far from the perfect set of parents, but we love our kids more than we love ourselves and we rely on the atonement to make up the difference. The speaker said if you have a something like a "easy" child, you've had a lesson in Parenting 101... But, if you've parented a "difficult" child, you've had a lesson in Parenting 505. I laughed, but only to relieve tension because I know this is true. The speaker said, "WE need these kids more than they need us. They are here to teach us," as they test us of course! My beautiful, strong, independent, intelligent, and sometimes very oppositional daughter tests me each and every day. But, I am fortunate for her amazing spirit and the love she brings to our lives and the lives of others. She will go far. And, again, I mention the atonement because neither of us are perfect. I will claim however we have a perfect mother-daughter love.


The talk also reminded us to focus on the "important" things like asking our children what Christ-like attributes they demonstrated throughout the day and how the child felt when doing so. I constantly try to be aware of the support I offer as to let my kids operate intrinsically.


I learned so many more things through the spirit this weekend and I cannot wait to read everything again in print! One surprising thing, the speakers choose, or let the spirit influence their subjects. I am fascinated by the similarities sometimes.

0 comments: