This is a touchy subject for many, but, I am going to talk about- especially since I talk about nearly everything, with everyone. (Only this is a one sided conversation).Now, I will use the disclaimer that this is a "touchy" subject to me because of all the stereotypes that exist about overweight people. I have heard and learned some terrible things about many perceptions that exist and it can be unbelievable. The real eye opener came to me when I took a Women's Studies class at PSU titled, "Body Image in the USA." I read numerous books which contained discriminatory practices in abundance. These behaviors are unfair and hurtful.
People can be overweight for one reason, or a combination of several. These reasons stem from the obvious overeating, under eating (yes, this was one element in my "journey") and hormonal imbalances which accompany so many factors and are often perplexing. (The term, which comes first, the chicken or the egg, is often the question when diagnosing health risks in my life). Tonight I made a comment about not eating in regards to metabolism and my friend replied, "You know the fattest people don't eat until dinner and are sumo wrestlers." I responded, "It's nice to know where I was headed."
Now, I've known how to be "healthy" due to a Public Health Capstone and other educational opportunities; however, I recently began to focus on "what" I was eating, not "when." There are many reasons I am on the "journey" I am now, and one happens to be because of the "when." Eating dinner each night and fasting throughout most days is a recipe for disaster. With that part of me revealed, I will also say I have begun a weight loss plan. My first, and my last. This past month I lost 22 pounds. A sweet friend made a comment referencing that her doctor would not say that is healthy. However, I have a lot to loose, and with the exception of vitamins and a lot of protein, I have passed on the plethora of supplements available to me. Sure, they are enticing, "Burn more quicker" (thermogenics and appetite suppressants), but they aren't the avenue I want to take. I wanted something I could follow for the rest of my life, with real food.
This is going to be along road but so far it has been habit changing. I am forcing myself to take care of me, and it takes time, something I don't have a lot of. But, I know it will give me more years to spend time with my family. Now that I am "out," I will keep a sporadic update going. I am excited about these changes and now I am struggling with finding time to exercises. The 22 lbs. came off without exercise, and I am prepared to work harder now that I've established some new habits like drinking 128 oz of water a day and eating meals!
Wish me luck!



1 comments:
Wow! Rachel this is so awesome! I know very well how it is to struggle with food and eating and being overweight. There are so many factors that are at play. I bet it feels wonderful to have made so much progress in just one month. Way to go!
Post a Comment