On June 29th Chad and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary.
We went to Seaside while Uncle Adam and Aunt Carey kept the kids.
The only other time we have been away together overnight occurred just a couple months back; they also had the kids then. We greatly appreciate it too!
We haven't left our kids in the past for several reasons, one being the eldest was a terrible sleeper until recently when the night terrors stopped.
As much as we have assured people they sleep well, and that Ryley is a fine sleeper (in hopes to farm them out), he proved us wrong last night. We left the coast earlier than expected to come home because he was VOMITING! Apparently, he wouldn't eat, he wouldn't go to sleep, and once he did, it didn't last long because he got sick. Fortunately, he is on the mend now!
In the meantime, Chad and I had a great time. We went antiqueing, swimming, ate, walked it off on the beach, and just relaxed.
Taken from the 8th floor where we stayed.
Our studio.
My favorite part of Seaside- the swings on the beach.
We forgot our kites, darn it. I have loved kites since I was a small child and I want to take my family to the kite festival someday when we have a little more time, if that ever happens!
Ok, I said no sleeping in and I meant it. But, we should have slept past 7 because we have tired eyes in this picture!
It's funny how time passes when you aren't running around with kids. Although we didn't have an agenda, when I would check the time it seemed it was moving slower than ever. 1 hour honestly felt like 3! We had a great time without a dull momment, and don't get me wrong, I was thankful for the slower pace, it was just unusual.
Do you know the feeling?
Us
We celebrated with the kids at The Cheesecake Factory before leaving.
Recently I realized what a good team Chad and I are. With a lot of sacrifice we are able to make a things work around here. I look forward to all the growth we will make together in the future.
My friend was talking about this quote the other day and how self-serving it is. Thinking like this may very well be why I will always have a job as a Marriage and Family Therapist! Despite the fact it might make me successful, I would rather that not be the case.
When I read this quote it made me think about marriage. In the past there have been times when I've actually asked myself how my relationship "serves" me. I have also thought about moments when my growth has been stunted rather than developed. During those times I came to realize I was prideful. In order for me to be happy I needed to humble myself and look at things differently, because really, I was the only one who could change my outlook.
Marriage can be a real struggle. I don't think it is being married on it's own that makes it hard, but being committed to work on things rather than walk away. And parenting, oh, that is where our differences once surfaced. But, we work on it, EVERDAY. We are happy, supportive, we are growing, and it is still hard. Recently at church a speaker said, "It's all worth it and someday we will see." A kind but desperate woman next to me chuckled and under her breath and slightly in my ear she said, "Is it? I really don't think it is." I said to her, "I have to believe it is or there are times I wouldn't be able to go on."
Fortunately, I am married to a very kind, patient, and forgiving man. He constantly reminds me to be meek and humble, probably more frequently than I even realize. He is a wonderful father. He does so much for me, for the children, and for the house... I should be ashamed to ever ask for more. Oh, the things he teaches me and the love I have for him!
I look forward to eternity with him and the rest of our family!






2 comments:
Loved your post--very inspiring!! Marriage is no cake walk, but all of the hard work definitely makes us grow and progress in an way we wouldn't so much if we were single and serving ourselves (not that that's how all single people are...you know what I mean right?)
Ahh, that quote just kills me. That pretty much sums up our generation. Anyway, congratulations to the both of you on 10 years!
p.s. I still have your pretty red plate sitting on the counter, I just need to run it over.
Post a Comment