Monday, January 26, 2009

Ryley

In a couple days Ryley will be 10 months! I can't believe the time has gone by so quickly. He brings so much joy to our home and we are excited about each new day and the new things he will be learning and demonstrating. It feels like we 'skipped' much of the infancy stage around here because he was such a different baby than Maisey was.
  • She slept in our bed until she was five- he only comes in for an occasional mid-night cuddle!
  • She breastfed for nearly two years- he never-EVER liked it!
Just today I made the decision to let it go... This is the first day I haven't pumped in almost ten months; for some strange reason I'm sad. I guess it's because he didn't need me in the same way Maisey needed me. *Now all you psychiatrists/sociologists out there don't go labeling me!
We did everything we could to meet Maisey's needs. We were hardly ever apart. Although it seemed demanding at times, I felt like I was being the best parent I could. I relished all my time for reasons like today: when you know your baby is suddenly more independent than you want him/her to be. We just waited so long to have this little guy, I wanted things to last longer. I don't think we will be having too many babies so I've really got to treasure the time I have when they're little.
Now on to the 10 month (almost) post!Ryley loves food. He is eating more than his sister ate, and a wider variety of foods, than his sister ate at 18 months.

He such a healthy little eater. His faves are: Avocados, diced cooked carrots, green beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, pretty much anything you can name.

He loves playing with his big sister!

She hauls him from room to room and pulls him around the house on his Tonka truck.
He is such a big helper, and so independent he can even un-dress him self!

He is your typical sensitive baby.
He is determined.
He loves to pretend he's more developed.
He doesn't crawl yet, and we're not sure when that will be. However, somehow he still makes his way into the middle of everything (especially Polly Pockets), by twisting , rolling, and scooting. I call him Inspector Gadget because he can reach anything.
As we were playing tonight I realized I'm actually thankful because he has bought us some time. Everyday he reminds me I need to baby proof more and more.
Maisey walked at 8 1/2 months and Chad's wishful thinking for Ryley hasn't shone through. I always catch Chad posing Ryley in front of the walker push toy as he moves his feet for him like a puppet. It developmental honey, not something picked up from conditioning.
At his 9 month doctor appointment he:
Gained enough weight to put him in the %1o percentile
He stayed with his growth pattern for %50 percentile for height
Then and now he loves to:
  • Give kisses.
  • Clap his hands and play "patty-cake."
  • Be sang to.
  • Continues to cry for anyone other than Mom, Dad, or sister.

3 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

I can't believe he's 10 months!! I can vividly remember you coming over for our breakfast during priesthood session and you were waiting to have him any day. Man, how time flies! I am totally relishing the baby phases too and wish they would last for longer!

Chris and Melanie said...

He is sooooo cute!!! It's crazy how different kids are. You just never know what you are going to get! :)

Naomi said...

What a cutie! In regards to the pumping - I think we get sad about it because we realize they are moving on and we aren't ready to yet. It is something that child won't do/experience again and they are becoming more independent. I always held out on putting certain things/toys away because I didn't want to acknowledge my little baby was growing up! But the good part is each new phase is fun and exciting and there is always something to enjoy and look forward to. You are a great mom with beautiful kids!