Sunday, December 7, 2008

{Classifieds: Available: Stubborn Little Girl}

I think today was one of the worst days I have had as a parent. To magnify the challenges, we were at church and so many other people behind us (I'm sure) probably witnessed the frown upon all of our faces- and ill emotions! I love Sundays. I love going to church with my family and listening to all of the lessons taught there. However, today I wanted to flee for home during the first verse of the of the first hymn! I feel so embarrassed of the feelings Chad and I had for our five year old- she really got us ticked off. I felt far from Christ-like. All I could do was rub her back and pretend (after I told her how disappointed and upset I was) I had forgotten all about it. Maisey has always, always known what she wants and so this contributing factor is nothing new. I keep trying to find the good in it and all I've been able to rationalize is that she should be successful because she is particular, stands up for herself, and knows exactly what she wants- a recipe for success right? Well, I sure hope so, but things aren't looking too promising these days.
It all started with a wedgie. Her tights were bothering her and pressing on me! She would not leave them alone, she kept pulling at them, and so I finally took them off- as they were passing the sacrament! Problem solved. Nope, not hardly. We had to leave and go sit in the primary room with the speaker on for at least 15 minutes. She wouldn't quit sighing and rolling her eyes, and complaining. Finally, I sent her back in to the pew and I went on to meet Ryley's needs. He eventually fell asleep for a 20 minute nap (which made his tiredness worse- he was cranky all afternoon) and we went back into the chapel. Chad had smoke blowing out his nostrils. He rarely gets upset but Maisey has him wrapped around her finger- and it has back fired. Our hearts ache because we are in disbelief that a child can be so demanding. She is usually very good and rarely needs a punishment, but we must be in a horrible stage! We are so worried it won't end... There are moments she is Super Nanny material but usually she minds (me at least). We do not know what to do and I am horrified when I look down the road. If a child is raised with the gospel, raised with love, and adequate, appropriate discipline, she will eventually be reasonable right? Honestly, I just don't know and all I can do is pray for our patience.
I told her I may send her to Grandpa and Grandma's (they've been asking since she was born), and as much as she loves them she does not want to go overnight. But seriously, we need a sanity break. I wouldn't ever do anything like that, against her will, but I sure wish she liked stay overnight with family! Needless to say we all stuck it out and she spent much of the time after church in her room. I hope tomorrow is a better day- it has to be.

2 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

Hang in there! I understand the stubborn strong willed child thing is hard!!!! My mom's been offering to take Jazlyn for a few days too but Jazlyn doesn't want to leave us either. If my parents lived closer there have been a few times I would definitely have dropped her off, probably even as she screamed. Let's hope tomorrow's a better day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.